Tuesday, May 5, 2015

All Good Writing Begins With . . .


"Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere."
~Anne Lamott

    More than once I've looked over something I'd just written and groaned--most times mentally, but sometimes audibly. The word choice was all wrong, the sentence structures seemed out of whack, the MC's vocabulary was not only identical to other characters'  but it also didn't even match her own personality. The rough-draft-ness of the first draft is so irritating and depressing that sometimes it makes me want to give up on the story.
    That's why I'm so relieved to hear quotes like this one. To know that it's okay to have terrible first drafts. That other authors go through this and that even great works were like this once. It encourages me to not give up. It's very reassuring.
    Don't you agree? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment