Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Hesitation

    Wow. Starting a new story is difficult.
    I'm doing that now, preparing to begin a new story before editing my previous one. I've been preparing for a long, long, long . . . long time. And admittedly, lately, I haven't been doing any research--I've just been hesitating.
    I have pretty much all the notes I need for a basic rough draft. My schedule has settled down enough for me to carve out time to write. I even have a little outline for the first few chapters. By all logical reasoning, I should be ready to start writing the story.
    Yet weeks have passed, and I still haven't started.
    Procrastination? Definitely, but I think there's something else to it too. An expectation I've held in my mind as an excuse for not beginning.
    On more than one occasion when I might have had the time to write, I thought: This isn't the right time to do this correctly. No, the ideal hour (two hours, actually, or three) to sit down, open up a new document, and begin the wonderful journey of a new story has to be perfect. The weather has to be exactly right, the mood has to be exactly right, I have to not be hungry at all, I have to have something nice to drink . . . everything must be perfect, because I cannot bear to write something I expect to be great and have it coming out not great. I must do all these things, and then everything I write in that first chapter will come out easily and perfectly.
    Yeah, that'll happen. I really need to get rid of all these excuses and just start writing, even if it doesn't come out as flawlessly as I picture it in my mind. Honestly, I'm pretty sure first drafts are never as good as the story is in one's mind. They only become so eloquent and beautiful after editing, revisions, and lots of time spent in diligent work.
    I'm going to try to be diligent like that and just start writing. No expectations of perfection, no excuses.
    Do you ever have trouble like this when starting a new story? Is the hesitation from procrastination, fear, doubt about whether or not the story is the right one to write? What do you do to overcome it?

No comments:

Post a Comment