Thursday, September 1, 2016

Having a Dictionary at Hand

    Sometimes when I'm doing a Bible study, I have a dictionary at hand. And whenever I see a word that's particularly interesting, I look it up.
    Not because I don't know the definition. No, I understand what the words mean. But looking into the definition more thoroughly can further develop my idea of the word. Compromise, for example, can mean coming up with an evenly fair agreement, but it can also mean appeasement. The difference between these two definitions is major, and understanding this gives a clearer picture of the event it's used to talk about. Like, say, the response of a king to an enemy's threats.
    Atonement, propitiation, and compromise are some of the words I've looked up during Bible study. Do you ever take out a dictionary to look into words more deeply?

No comments:

Post a Comment