Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Guilt is Not a Very Good Motivator

Guilt kind of feels like getting rained on: uncomfortable, inconvenient,
and feeling dumb for not having brought an umbrella or a hoodie.
    Blaargh, I just made a writing mistake that I kind of feel stupid about.
    So I tell myself that I'm going to write at a specific time. I put "write something" as the very first thing on my To-Do List for the day. I feel confident about doing it, eager about the hour I've scheduled just for writing, waiting patiently throughout the whole day for this planned time. But then, for one or more various reasons, when the time comes, I don't sit down and write. I do something else instead. And then, when the precious time has been eaten up, the voices of guilt start sounding.
    Why didn't I write? That was the perfect opportunity! I should have gotten right to it. Suddenly, an idea strikes. Maybe this guilt will motivate me to write next time.
    So I get excited again. The next day, I put "write something" on the To-Do List again and repeat the other day's thoughts with one difference. Now that I have this memory of how bad I felt, I'll totally be motivated to ignore distractions, sit down, and focus on writing. It's going to be so awesome!
    Well, as it turns out, I am not totally motivated to write by the scheduled time, or for the rest of the day. Once again, I find myself looking at the unchecked box and feeling very unhappy with myself.
    So now I know: guilt is not a good motivator.
    I really should have known. Guilt isn't good to have at all. It's a negative emotion that rarely prompts anything positive. The idea of linking that crummy feeling to writing . . . what was I thinking? Claiming such a depressing emotion as my motivation for something as wonderful and beautiful as writing wouldn't just be doomed; it would be sad. So I won't be trying that again.
    Can you relate to any of this? Or was this little story just weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment