Thursday, October 6, 2016

Doing the Boring Stuff First

    Lately in class, I've heard of a strategy that supposedly really helps a person get the most out of their day. It's basically looking over one's To-Do List before the day begins, making note of all the most uninteresting and difficult things, and planning to do them before anything else.
    All the boring stuff. Before anything else.
    The logic is that by doing the boring stuff first, a person will be giving their fullest mental capacity to the important task before the mind can get worn out by the rest of the day's activities. This logic is sound, and I really like the concept of getting boring work out of the way first . . .
    But using my brainpower when it's at its peak on the boring stuff? Not doing anything interesting until I've slogged through the mundane? I don't want to do that! I want to wake up and immediately do something fun, not dreary. If my waking thought in the morning is that I have to do something I'd rather not within half an hour, I'd frankly be a little depressed.
    And even if the tasks weren't as boring as much as they were just difficult, there'd still be an issue. Because I (like all other people) am an emotional, occasionally erratic human being. I can't work like a clockwork machine all the time, and certainly not every morning, because I get bored, and then discouraged, which usually results in a complete halt in the work process.
    What I need is an undeterred start; a way to wake up and be eager for the day's activities rather than frustrated at the thought of the first chore. Let me do something fun, even if it's just reading for fifteen minutes; then I'll be happy to start getting boring work out of the way.
    Yet the logic remains: starting in on the boring stuff first gets it out of the way quickest, and probably with more attention and better quality than work that's done right after something far more interesting.
    Maybe I'll adopt a sort of hybrid of the "boring stuff first" technique. Maybe on certain days I'll get the boring stuff done first, and on other days I'll do a few fun tasks beforehand.
    What about you? Do you do the boring stuff on your To-Do List first? Or do you always start the day with something fun? Which do you think is better?

No comments:

Post a Comment