Thursday, May 26, 2016

A Few Thoughts on Self-Discipline

    Alas, good habits do not form overnight. They have to be developed, shaped into a person--which can be uncomfortable. And it takes a considerable amount of time, effort, and serious motivation.
    Personally, I've found that I need to write out some rules and have at least one consequence set up for when I fail to meet an established standard. Guidelines and a consequence: that's my method for self-discipline.
    The rules don't have to be a long list. Sometimes it's just one or two guidelines. Better to keep it simple and basic; the more regulations there are, the harder it's going to be to keep them. They should be the core necessities of the endeavor, things that will create the hoped-for result.
    Then there are the consequences (boo!) for when (not if; when) the regulations aren't fulfilled. Usually it involves taking something away, temporarily revoking access to it. It could be a fun activity (like watching a favorite TV show or listening to music) or a hobby/skill (like painting or skateboarding), or "fun food" (like chocolate or a favorite snack); something done often if not every day. Probably not something vital (like working on a fun project for school, drinking water, or going to youth group), but something that'll smart when it's taken away.
    It's also very helpful to pray about it. Being a Christian, I find strength in the Lord and believe that He can and is willing to answer prayer. It brings not only encouragement to ask Him for help in sticking to decisions, but real support and strengthening.
    Right now I'm trying to wake up early in the morning. I like to sleep in, but I also like writing and I need the quiet time of the morning to dedicate to it. So here's the plan. The guidelines are: be out of bed before seven AM. One requirement; simple to remember. The consequence for not fulfilling it is that I won't allow myself to knit for the rest of the day. Knitting is a very fun and useful hobby for me. I wouldn't want to have to wait a whole day to get back to a project (particularly a long one!) so it works as incentive for me to get up and start working.
    No question about it: it's tempting to give up, or to let the rules slide every now and then. But that would be defeating the entire purpose of self-discipline. There can be no compromise.
    As difficult to maintain as self-discipline can be, it is effective. When a good habit forms and work gets accomplished, one can see the precious results.
    Do you have other methods for self-discipline?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment